Great Grandfather of Reavis E. Dixon

James C. C. Davis was born on February 1, 1838, in Appling County, Georgia, which made him just the right age to serve in the Army of the Confederacy. He lived in the Coffee District, of Appling County, Georgia, and signed up in Company "K" of the 54th Georgia Volunteer Infantry near the beginning of the war. Little is known of his CSA service, but he was serving with General Joseph Johnson, at Greensboro, North Carolina, on April 26, 1865.

General Joseph Johnson, CSA, surrendered his forces to General William Tecumseh Sherman, at Bennett Place
near Greensboro, North Carolina, on April 26, 1865. About 90,000 men were surrendered and of that number, about 32,000 received their pardon paper during the next few days. On the final day of duty, only 16,000 men were present in General Johnson's army. (Army of Tennessee, and the army of Northern Virginia) The balance of about 42,000 had been told that the war was over, and most of them simply left, and started their journey home, even before the surrender was signed. Among those, in all probability was, Pvt. James Christopher Columbus Davis.

Greensboro, North Carolina, is considered to be the final Capitol of the Confederate States of America. President Jefferson Finis Davis had left a few days prior to the surrender, in an effort to get out of the country. His journey ended near Irwinville, in Irwin County, Georgia, where he was captured on May 10, 1865, by the 4th Michigan cavalry. Pvt. James C.C. Davis was the second Cousin, three times removed, of President Jefferson Davis.

Jefferson Davis
2nd cousin 6 times
removed of Revis Dixion
Where fact ends, and fable begins will likely never be known, but my father, and his sister, both declared that James C.C. (Tiger Jim) Davis, their Grandfather, walked home from Savannah, Georgia. The following is a family tale which has survived the decades since the Civil War ended.

"The war was over", they stated, "And 'Tiger Jim' Davis, weary from years of service, and homesick for family and friends, got tired of waiting. One morning he arose before the rest of the unit and struck out toward home. He had not gone far when he heard the barking of dogs on his trail, the Army was attempting to apprehend him, and force him to wait until the official release was received.

"Tiger Jim Davis" ran for a considerable distance, finally, coming to a rail fence which ambled through the North Carolina, woods. He quickly climbed over the fence, ran a couple of hundred yards into the woods, then doubled back on his own trail, returning to the rail fence. He ran a few yards down the fence, and jumped into a fence jam, covering himself with such cover as was available. Presently, the dogs, and their handlers arrived at the fence, climbed over, and proceeded on the trail which led into the woods. After they had passed, and Jim could no longer see them, he arose and lit out along the rail fence line in a new direction. He never saw his pursuers again, and after a journey which brought him to Savannah, Georgia, "Tiger Jim" walked the hundred and twenty miles to his home in the Coffee District, of Appling County, Georgia". No one ever came for him. He lived out his days in the presence of his family in Appling County, and the Dickson's Mill (Mershon) area of Pierce County. The old Civil War veteran is buried among his friends, and beside his wife Emily, in Ramah Cemetery in Pierce County, Georgia. He died August 6, 1923.